OARDC Outlying Agricultural Research Stations
Pomerene Forest Laboratory Agricultural Research Station

Pomerene Forest Laboratory

In 1971, Walter and Warner Pomerene donated 227 acres of land in Coshocton County to OARDC for forestry research. Forestry scientists in the School of Environment and Natural Resources established an ambitious research program and began their studies at what became the Pomerene Forest Laboratory.

The Pomerene Lab is the site of extensive plantings of conifer and hardwood species of trees on terrain similar to that of southeastern Ohio - the location of much of Ohio's commercial forest industry. Research includes plantings on both upland, well-drained soils and in lowlands where soils are poorly drained.

Plantation-grown Christmas tree production is a major research effort here. Plantings are evaluated on survival, growth and foliage quality. Extensive studies have been carried out to develop cultural practices for high-quality trees, including weed control measures, shearing and shaping, and fertilization.  

White pine - the most extensively planted species in the state - Norway and white spruces, and northern red oak are analyzed for selection, breeding, and disease and pest resistance. West Virginia seed sources of balsam fir have the potential to grow where Douglas fir and Frasier fir will not. Knowing which trees grow best in Ohio helps the reforestation efforts of scientists, forestry officials and landowners. In addition to the Pomerene Lab, tree studies are conducted at other OARDC locations plus several state forests. 

Google Maps JavaScript API Example

Directions

0.5 miles north of Coshocton, Ohio on SR 621 (Coshocton County, Ohio) Larger Map/Directions

Contact

28850 State Route 621
Fresno, OH 43824
Phone: 740-545-6349

Acreage

227 acres
Ken Scaife, Assistant to the Director, Field Operations
scaife.1@osu.edu

Cathy Chenevey, Office Associate
chenevey.20@osu.edu
Ohio Agricultural Research and Development Center
228 Research Services Building
1680 Madison Avenue
Wooster OH 44691
Phone: 330-263-3771 FAX: 330-263-3710